



On the way to the Hilton Head house for longer than I can remember, we would pass Lawton Stables which would mean we were really almost there. Just across from the co-op Heritage Farms and just before the Sea Pines traffic circle, horses milled about the fields and patiently trotted children and families about.
Lawton Stables was the stuff of family legends: So the story goes, my Granny would take me there with Aunt Addie. They would lead a pony around in circles so I could ride my favorite animal. Bored with the pony ride, I would call out "Faster, Granny, faster!" demanding she trot the horse, or better yet canter, around the rink. And ever gracious in the hot hot sun, they would actually oblige.
Then every year when the dear Davis family--our oldest friends--arrived to spend a few weeks with our family at 20 Belted Kingfisher, they too marked the arrival with Lawton Stables and Donna's refrain pointing out the horses. So, it is no surprise that the stables figured in our visits to HHI with Elsie and I find myself understanding why a grandparent would run in circles and a parent would point out with childlike enthusiasm: "Look, Joseph, there are the horsies."
No comments:
Post a Comment