Thursday, October 14, 2010

Tis the Season for Gumpmans, Soil Milk, and Maisie and Grace


I'm pretty convinced at this point that my kids are geniuses when it comes to the English language.

I have been trying to remember Elsie's development to determine if Kit's convoluted pronunciations are normal. Is "awigagor" ok for alligator at this age? Should pancake be pronounced "caypake" when you are two months shy of 2? Then I realized that her way with words is much more fun....

Kit has converted our whole family to the joy of the word "gumpman"--her revision of pumpkin--and gumpman just rolls off the tongue. It is a thrill to go gumpman hunting through the neighborhood pointing out gumpmans from the back of bikes or backseats of cars. I love hearing, "gumpman, gumpman, Mommy, gumpman." Something good comes with gumpmans no doubt! I am pretty sure Elsie has forgotten that "pumpkin" was ever even a word.

And while Kit has her own idiosyncrasies with English, Elsie has her fair share, too. Soil Milk makes sense--soy milk is a kind of dingy shade. And "Amazing Grace" is a much jollier song when it is sung in Elsie's treble about "Maisie and Grace."

While David and I are excited to get away for our 10th anniversary adventure to the California wine country this weekend, their little voices will no doubt be ringing in our ears.

1 comment:

Remlerville said...

When Davis was Kit's age, a balloon was a ka-bloon, which I found fitting, considering balloons in our house usually popped within minutes. Crayons were then (and still are now) crowns. When Lawson reached that age, he loved driving by the Hot Lobster.