Monday, February 21, 2011

Synecdoche


 So yesterday, I took Kit and Elsie to see Gnomeo and Juliet.  It seemed to be a good thing to do at 5:30 on a Sunday after a lovely outside day and fun weekend.  After a late night at a Belzer house party the night before (and early morning with kiddos in my bed) and a weekend single parenting with D on call, it seemed a good way to mark having survived until then.  And it was... 

I really have only the vaguest idea what happened in the movie... no, I actually have more than a vague sense as a professor of English literature... but the point is, I watched them much more so than I watched the movie.  Elsie was as Elsie is: exuberant... so excited about the adventure of going to a movie and a kid's combo and a girl's movie night out... all of it.  And Kit... well... it was Kit's first movie and she responded with wonder to all of it: the kid's combo with fun dip, her first taste of Sprite, the lights going down as the movie started, and the volume of the sound.  I watched as raptly as she watched the movie itself as she climbed into her seat and tried to determine what to do since she couldn't weigh it down flat.  I watched as she "ahhed" in wonder at the darkness.  I watched as she called out in concern for "gnomeohmeoh."  I watched as she diligently dipped her dip stick.  I watched as she ate popcorn one piece at a time.  I reminded her to sip her Sprite and held her straw out to her when she was thirsty.  I watched as she responded "nummy" when she liked the taste.  I watched as she asked me to hold her popcorn tray so she could get up and dance to "Crocodile Rock" and there you have it... 

There is parenting in a nutshell, right? A less menacing kind of double consciousness, not negative, but intense in which my watching her watch that movie is a kind of synecdoche, an illustration in that one example, of how I now live so many moments of my life, through her, through them.  

Yesterday afternoon, I watched the North American Tree-Climbing championships at Forsyth Park with some friends and the girls but I watched them watching just as intently.  Riven... So there I will be, watching them climb and balance through their lives or watching their witnessing, forever, my being no longer my own, forever bearing them.  How rich....

3 comments:

jackie said...

So true and so beautifully captured.

Unknown said...

After reading your post, it reminded of movie review I read earlier in the day. It's a documentary in limited release here. I just stuck it on my Netflix cue. Look for it: "The Kids Grow Up."

Erik Jurgensen

The renovations on the beach house look great.

b&d said...

Thanks so much Erik!