Thursday, July 09, 2009

The Rhetoric of Elsie


Elsie surprises us all the time with the words she knows and the phrasing she attempts and uses. We delight in her explorations of language. I need to do a better job of recording such things and probably should correct some of them, but they are so damn sweet. I'm thinking of my rhetoric class for this fall and if I was to analyze her language use from a rhetorical perspective, here is what I might say:
  • Sometimes she tries out new words to exert her independence, recognizing the relationship between language and power in the Foucauldian sense. On the potty one day, she demanded some "privacy."
  • Sometimes, she coins phrases. "Doing tricks and moves" is a neologism that means dancing naked.
  • She calls "Sprite" "sprout." Today, at lunch, she requested "Sprite" and I let her since we were having a special mommy/eldest daughter day. She told me "I lub Sprout, Mommy." She then paused and said "I wike Sprout on demand, too." "Sprout" is also a preschoolers channel on TV with educational shows so she was recognizing its double-connotation and the complications of homonyms.
  • One day I used a funnel to make a musical instrument--a shaker--using a water bottle and dry macaronis. That same day, Daddy removed a splinter from her foot. A month later, she was marching around the house with a water bottle requesting a "splinter." Obviously, she recognized the arbitrary nature of signification--there is no "natural" relationship between words and the things they represent.
  • And many times, we recognize the limits of language and its lack and absence--as opposed to the presence of gesture (in its Derridean implications). Those are the fleeting moments we'll lose long before we forget "sprout" and "splinters"--the hand gesture she uses when she is "sneaking," the side kick she fancies when dancing, and the sweet sticky sweaty smell of her generously given hugs.

No comments: